[Dailydrool] Flea prevention

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Tue Jul 1 16:18:50 PDT 2008

I've just started giving our Elsinore and young Charlie Comfortis. So
far so good. I've tried both Frontline and Advantage on Charlie and
he still kept getting bitten. Several times a day he'd suddenly have
to stop what he was doing and sit down and bite at himself, and I
could see fleas on him. It must be his body chemistry because
Elsinore did just fine on both medications.

The vet told me to try Comfortis. It's a monthly chewable, which is
very nice for us humans. I've always wondered just how much of the
liquid preventive was actually getting in through the dog's skin and
how much was getting smeared on their fur and me. I hated the mess
and stickiness that lingered for days after an application.

Comfortis is advertised as working within half an hour of being
taken. The flea bites the dog and dies. The vet said that 12 percent
of the dogs who take it will experience nausea or vomiting the first
month and half of that 12 percent will feel yucky after taking it the
second month. Elsinore and Charlie did fine on it. I followed the
directions and gave it to them after a meal. No nausea that I could
see and no vomiting. I started them on it last week and have noticed
that Charlie's no longer biting himself and his fur on his back end
doesn't look as if he's been going at it.

Because Elsinore is 49 pounds and Charlie 32, I had to buy a
different box for each. Together a six-month supply for two dogs cost
$188 from the vet. Another reason Elsinore's going to have to wait a
little longer for her doggie door to be purchased and installed.

Elizabeth