[Dailydrool] how i learned to love the basset breed

Robbie Bagby jamalucy at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 19:59:20 PDT 2008

I am an animal control officer for a local Alabama law enforcement agency.
One of our officers had been fired and one day after saying that rescue
couldnt take her for 3 weeks, turned her out of his fence to fend for
herself. So my then seargent called me on a saturday to see if i knew of
someone who would like to have a basset. I didnt but when i got to work on
monday, he had me come into the area and i got the dog out of a ditch and
turned around to face the fired owner/police officer. I got out of there by
saying, "hey, how ya doing? Do you know who this dog belongs to?" He gruffly
told me she was his and he didnt want her. I took off to the truck, loaded
the dog, and went around to my seargent's house. I did a 3 page police
report and took a copy of it to my deputy chief. He asked me to make sure
nothing happened to her. So after contacting someone in the city who i knew
had been involved with basset rescue, got her in and then i fostered her for
about 4 months. That dog got adopted by her last foster dad. It has been
very rewarding to me ever since.
Lucy is my first basset. But now i have 6 total bassets. They are all
precious to me. I love to snuggle with them.
Bassets are the best breed in my opinion.

--
Robbie, mom slave to Lucy, Jaime,
Devon, Daisy, Hollee, Sally Sue, and basset wannabees