[Dailydrool] (no subject)

dpmcquade at juno.com dpmcquade at juno.com
Thu Jul 3 04:59:10 PDT 2008

<<Rupert and Cowboy play a lot buts its kind of rough alligator mouth play, chomping on each others ears and jowls, pummelling one another to the ground, chasing, etc. Rupert initiates it a lot but even when we try to seperate them to give Cowboy space he (Cow) comes running back and gets Rupert so it makes me think Cowboy likes the play even if we think its getting rough. 90% of the time though Cowboy ends up getting pinned and squeals causing us to call Rupert off.

Cowboy also seems to be sleeping a lot more than usual and not really as playful with me as he used to be. The problem I think is associated with Rupert. When Ru is sleeping sometimes, Cow will try to play with us but of course Ru jumps from his sound slumber and wants to play too. He ends up pushing Cowboy out of the way and totally dominating playtime.

Would it be bad to crate Ru sometimes to give Cowboy special playtime? I feel bad doing this because Rupert really isn't being bad he's just a hog.>>

I know nothing about depression in bassets, but this sounds to me like pretty normal behavior. If Cowboy really didn't like the rough play, I think he'd avoid it. It may just be that Rupert is going to be the alpha, and he recognizes that. We overnighted a transport basset, and Bel humped him mercilessly. You'd think Denny would have run in the other direction, but he seemed to enjoy it. By the end of the night, I think he thought of Bel as a friend.

As to tiredness, maybe the play is wearing Cowboy out. That's not a bad thing. But if it seemed more than that, I think I would make a vet appointment.

If you want to take Cowboy for a separate walk or spend time playing with him, that's just fine too. Make sure you give Ru plenty of plat time too, and I think they will get used to it. If you put him in a crate with a special toy, Ru will probably be fairly happy. (I'm thinking of a stuffed Kong or some such tasty thing.)
Pam, with Drew, food slave to the Dashing Bassets