[Dailydrool] Learned something new

KR1204 at aol.com KR1204 at aol.com
Thu Jul 3 17:02:12 PDT 2008

In addition to my five I have been 'hound sitting" my ex's two for the last
month. Tuesday, Gracie who is about  9 went out before breakfast, after
breakfast and then slipped out while I was letting another in. When I went to  get
her she went to  step up the one step into the house and began  screaming in
pain. I quickly palpated her, checked pads, toes but found nothing.  She
refused to leave the laundry room because there are two more steps so I made  her a
bed and got an apt for the next day.She could walk but any attempt at  steps
had her screaming. Vetlady Linda listened to my description and said  its
probably Lymes. She said when there is no known trauma and a sudden  joint pain(in
this case about 20 min) that is the usual cause. She checked her  spine, legs
and toes and Gracie just sat there. Then  she pulled on her  hips and Gracie
went beserk, screaming with bared teeth about an inch from  VetLinda's nose! I
grabbed her collar and said "she didn't like that much".  Anyway, she is on
doxycycline for 30 days, Tramadol and Rimadyl. Vet Linda said  if it is Lymes
she will have a great improvement in 24 hours. She was right,  Gracie is
wagging her tail again, going up the  one and two steps without  screaming and
eating like a horse. It turns out that looking at her records, she  tested positive
 for Lyme in 2006 but because she had no symptoms she was  not treated.
My other option would have been to knock her out and get xrays to rule out
disc/leg problems which would have been a HUGE vet bill.
Something to keep in mind if your basset develops sudden pain but can still
stand and walk.
Kathy with Spanky, Elwood, Sonny, Crackers, Loki, step bassets Gracie and
Drummer and Ginger the  pointy eared dog next door who I am also watching  but
in her own house.