[Dailydrool] Rolph is my hero

Sally King sallyemking at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jul 6 08:58:25 PDT 2008

One of the regular places I used to take the dogs for their walks is a disused cemetary about five minutes away.
  I haven't been going so much for the past couple of months as one morning I felt someone was watching me. Since then I have only been twice and always with someone else.
  This weekend I am really poorly - streaming cold, sore throat, feeling really rough - but of course, the dogs needed to go out.
  So, as it was 11am, I decided to go to the cemetary. Big mistake.
  In the middle of the square graveyard is an old church. It has a preservation order on it, but is a ruin and  is dangerous, so the local council has put a hoarding round it to keep people out - and the local yobs have grafitted the hoarding.
  All around the church is overgrown with bushes.
  Anyway, we were at the back of the cemetary when I saw a man. At first I thought he was peeing up against the hoarding. After a while I thought "no one needs that long to pee" and, as I carried on walking, it became clear not only was he not peeing, instead of turning away from me (as I assume most men would if caught short) he was making sure his front view was in my direction.
  I decided to pretend I hadn't noticed. There is only one way out of this cemetary, so I just kept striding in that direction. At this point, the man, still displaying his jewells, started in our direction.
  It was also then that Rolph started barking. I'm not convinced he was saying "get away from my mum" or even "Come on Clara, that man's offering us sausages", but it was enough to make the man stop which gave me time to make it to the gate without giving him the satisfaction of running (I hope he thought I hadn't seen him).
  Of course, it was the one day I didn't have my mobile on me, so I couldn't phone the police until I got home - by which time he would have been long gone.
  But, Rolph is my hero. Extra pigs ear for him -  or should that be sausage?

Sally, slave to Rolph and Clara, step slave to Tessie, Henry and Solomon ATB