[Dailydrool] Comfortis

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Mon Jul 7 15:04:39 PDT 2008

I had our Elsinore at the vet again this afternoon for another B12
shot for her lip warts. She's still got some, including the really,
really big one that looks like an ugly bleached mole. He thinks she
may need another shot next week. I think he's just selling me
harmless B12 shots until the warts go away on their own. I told him
that if she still has these warts next week I'm just going to start
gathering the morning dew from the roses to see if that'll do a
better job than the B12 seems to be doing so far.

While I was there, I asked him about the FDA warning that came out
for Comfortis (http:..www.fda.gov/cvm/ComfortisSafety.htm). The
warning said the FDA has been getting reports of "adverse reactions
in dogs receiving the drug Comfortis (spinosad) concurrently with
high, extra-label doses of the drug ivermectin." He said that giving
a dog Comfortis and heartworm medicine isn't considered a high dose
of ivermectin. According to him, sometimes people control worms by
giving their dogs ivermectin every month. In that case, Comfortis
could easily cause a problem because the amount of ivermectin needed
to kill worms is high. So I'm feeling more comfortable with giving
our Elsinore and young Charlie Comfortis and their monthly
Interceptor. It seems to have killed Charlie's fleas when Frontline
and Advantage didn't.

Elizabeth