[Dailydrool] Ear canal removal

dpmcquade at juno.com dpmcquade at juno.com
Mon Jul 7 16:12:19 PDT 2008

<< Vet keeps telling me that the ear canal needs to be removed - I don't think so.  That would be my very last resort.>>

Is your hound in a lot of pain? That might indicate that an ear ablation (as they call this procedure) is necessary. If your hound will not allow you to put anything in the ear and goes bonkers when you try, it may be a sign that the ear is ruptured and an ablation is really required. But if the ear is not all that painful, you may not be there yet.

Our Alexis, ATB, had an ablation. It is a painful surgery that IMHO should only be done if all else has failed.

To avoid an ablation, hound slaves can RELIGIOUSLY use the antibiotics that are prescribed. Forgetting to use them may allow the bacteria to become resistant, which means the medication will no longer work well enough to solve the problem. But despite a slave's best efforts, some bacteria are simply resistant to just about everything. That's what happened to our Alexis, and then she had no options but surgery.

If you need to do it, it will end the pain, and the dog may love you for that, after a brief recovery. When it's necessary, I do not think people should hesitate to go for an ablation, but only when that's the only option. I had a clue just what I'd done to Alexis when I discovered, after surgery, that she was on doggie morphine. But that was still better than the constant pain she suffered. After surgery we had no more fights over ear medications. She became her usual sweet self.

I hope all works out well for you. Has your vet tested to see what medications will work best and which your hound is resistant to?
Pam, with Drew, food slave to the Dashing Bassets