[Dailydrool] Bob the Dog / chiropractors

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Sun Jul 13 07:12:32 PDT 2008

> Bob the Dog, have you thought about trying a doggie chiropractor?
> Barney Boy
> had a bad neck about 4 yrs ago and we found a chiropractor and in one
> treatment he got better and has been fine for all this time.  He is
> almost 14.

This is a good suggestion. Our Elsinore and young Charlie see a
veterinary chiropractor at least once a year. He used to be a human
chiropractor, but then he went back to school and got licensed (AVCA)
to be a veterinary chiropractor. They saw him just the other week,
actually, for their annual adjustment. Our Elsinore wasn't eager to
turn in circles clockwise (one of her "dance steps"), but after her
adjustment, she's now turning in tight clockwise circles without any
hesitating.

And here's our human testimonial for chiropractors--Ken, who likes to
run, developed pain in one of his feet. The orthopedist he went to
said it was plantar fascitis (or however it's spelled). Ken stretched
his foot, put on it, soaked it in Epsom salts every night for a year
and still had pain. I suggested he to see my chiropractor, the one
who got me through a herniated disk when the neurosurgeon's physical
therapist couldn't, because I was sure he was compensating for his
foot when he walked and throwing his body out of alignment. So Ken
went to my chiropractor and mentioned his foot pain while he was
there. She felt around in his foot and said a bone in it had fallen
out of place. She popped it back into place and like magic the foot
pain was gone. That's when we realized that chiropractors aren't just
about spines only; they adjust everything.

The only thing with veterinary chiropractors is to first be sure to
get an x-ray of the area in question to rule out all other possible
and/or contributing causes for the pain. When our Elsinore started
having back pain, the chiropractor adjusted her several times but she
was still stopping in her tracks and crying at odd moments. Her
regular vet x-rayed her spine and discovered a pellet from a pellet
gun, lodged in the area in which her sciatic nerve runs. When the
pellet shifted, the vet surmised, it was hitting the sciatic nerve.
There's no way the chiropractor could have detected that pellet
through just a manual examination, and being people who don't go out
and shoot at dogs, we never even considered the possibility that our
Elsinore was carrying around that kind of evidence of human cruelty
inside her body. Once the pellet was removed, Elsinore felt much
better. She still has trouble with scar tissue from the surgery
periodically annoying that nerve, but it's only every three or four
months and a muscle relaxer gets it all sorted out quickly.

I have both dogs adjusted by their chiropractor annually because it
makes such a difference in the way they move. Especially around their
shoulders. This last time the chiropractor told me that dogs don't
have collar bones the way humans do, so they don't really have
anything to stabilize their shoulder area and keep things in place.
This explained why both dogs were tight in their shoulders, Charlie
more so on the left and Elsinore more so on the right. It's fun
watching him adjust the dogs clear down to the tips of their tails,
and even more fun to watch them get off the table and shake
themselves hard and then prance around because they feel so good.

Elizabeth