[Dailydrool] rescued bassets and adoption policies

Saraberry at aol.com Saraberry at aol.com
Mon Jul 14 14:51:53 PDT 2008

The burden of responsibility for a dog certainly lies with the people  who
have possession of the dog, and hence, why most responsible rescues get
ownership of the dog signed over to them and then in turn, ask for a  written
adoption affidavit or certificate of transfer of some type when the  dog goes
elsewhere.

If nothing else, this is done for reasons of insurance and liability, which
can effect anyone and not always in a good way.  With that said, I have  seen
successful transfers between individuals that do not involve paperwork, but
that is pretty much a crap shoot.

Keep in mind that there is very little that will prove ownership of a dog  if
you don't have either a microchip, tattoo or some kind of paperwork proving
that dog's ownership.  Otherwise, what is to stop someone from  taking someone
else's dog that bothers them to a rescue or shelter for  rehoming?  This does
happen. Which is why it is important to also scan a  dog when they come into
rescue.

It will always be in your best interest, whether you are rehoming a dog or
getting a dog, to get ownership and responsibilities of the seller or rescuer
vs. your responsibilities defined in writing.  Even if you bring along a
yellow pad and write it out while you are sitting there.  Just then have  both
parties agree and sign when you are done.  If there are problems,  you will see
them emerge in this process.  Now certainly to define  questions in advance or
work with a form already developed by a rescue, breeder  or adopter is helpful
and often will save you time and money down the  road.

I was recently contacted about rescuing two dogs.  The local rescue  group
did not have any available foster homes, but I found one elsewhere.   I still
worked with the local rescue group to get transfer of ownership in  writing
using a legal document that had been well thought out in advance and is  used by a
number of rescue organizations.  If this happens to you, I really  recommend
this so that you have this document in case of problems down the road,  and
then to scan for any microchips prior to rehoming.

If you have just adopted a rescued dog, please have them scanned at your
vet.  Then you can make arrangements with the rescue group or the microchip
people to get the chip transferred to your name.  If they don't have a  microchip,
please get one!  If you are getting a puppy, ask your breeder  about
microchipping.  Most vets charge about $60 to microchip, but many  shelters offer low
cost microchipping clinics.  If you don't want to  microchip, then tattoo.

Best,

Sara Watson
Bluefence Bassets

SFSPCA Intern