[Dailydrool] checking out the deceased

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 14:01:31 PDT 2008

Ok I got soundly voted down at work regarding this issue. The consensus (I
did not ask the Vets) was that YES, dogs should be allowed to check out
their deceased compadres. That they do, in fact, understand on some level
the concept of death, that they know when one is dying and when one is dead,
and that being allowed to check out the decedent shortens or eliminates the
grieving time.
This is, however, anecdotal. None of the people I spoke with had ever done
this. They had friends who had or friends of friends or acquaintances who
had friends who had done this.

So. Draw your own conclusions. I think I will stick with mine in spite of
the anecdotal evidence to the contrary. I like facts. I'm funny that way.

MomPerson to Mitchell, Zelda, Nigel, Llewis and Cooper.