[Dailydrool] If I Didn't Have the Drool... I'd Be Stranded in Bartow, FL...

Susan Randolph msrandolph at verizon.net
Tue Jul 15 20:18:44 PDT 2008

How timely a thread...

Just this weekend I was FINALLY working on my scrapbook album from my very
first disaster as a responder with E.A.R.S. (I helped with animal disaster
recovery following Hurricane Charley in Florida several years ago). And if I
didn't have the Drool... I'd probably still be sitting next to my luggage,
stranded in the Tampa, FL, airport...

You see, I was a brand new (very GREEN) trained volunteer with EARS
(Emergency Animal Rescue Services) in August 2004 and had signed up to
respond to my first disaster, Hurricane Charley, when it hit the Florida
coast. I was excited and nervous... and just a little naive. I had booked a
flight but had only a vague commitment for a ride to the disaster site. When
I landed, I was stranded at the Tampa airport with no sure way to reach the
staging area and help with sheltering the animals who desperately needed
assistance.

ENTER THE DROOL... I had posted about my plans and had the phone numbers of
several basset people who knew I'd be headed down to help .... including
Marie28443 (slave to Beau, Rhett & Scarlet). She was without power and
dealing with the aftermath herself  -- but she'd given me her number and
said to call if I needed help. I DID! And she went into action and arranged
for a ride (from a very kind man named Tommy), who helped with rescue
transports. Neither of them knew me from Adam ... I was simply a fellow
basset slave in need. And that's all the information they needed.

Tommy drove me to the Bartow Agricultural Center where the Animal Rescue
Center was established. I worked for a week helping the lost and lonely pups
and kitties from Hurricane Charley. And I kept in touch with Marie --
working to arrange with basset rescue for pick up of the super-sweet basset
who ended up in our temporary shelter. Marie and I joked that we'd
eventually meet for coffee -- when things were calmer.

Fast forward ahead a year or so ... to Hurricane Katrina. I was once again
deployed (this time with Noah's Wish) -- and was in frequent contact with
Marie again. I had responded to a few disasters by then (including a flood
and a tsunami)-- but no one was prepared for Katrina. Marie and I confirmed
our *date* for coffee -- when things calmed down of course. And I maintained
contact with the Drool when I was able to secure a computer connection...
alerting folks to any bassets in our care. It was a lifeline for me during a
difficult time.

Marie eventually moved to Arkansas -- but I know that if I ever end up in
her neighborhood, I've got a coffee buddy waiting. And I hope she knows the
same. Marie, if you're still *Drooling* -- keep the pot warm... I just might
show up one of these days (hopefully withOUT the disaster).

And for those who haven't yet learned the power of a drool to unite
people... just sit a spell and watch. You'll witness the magic.

Drool on,

Susan (slave to Toby & Daisy)