[Dailydrool] Kirkland

R Groves dd-post at thegroves.net
Wed Jul 16 03:38:02 PDT 2008

** lotta links with this to give really good reference points**

actually .. Diamond was on the list 2005/2006 for Aflatoxin ... fungi/moldy
corn.. their involvement with the gluten (actually melamine) incident (at
least for kirkland) was because moist food was farmed out to American
Nutrition Inc.
http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/diamond04_07.html

Aflatoxins (especially "3. Nature of Disease")
http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/chap41.html

and so it goes back further than just the china melamine doping...
http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/diamond12_05.html

List of recalls up to April 2008
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/petfoodrecall/#Dog

I had thought about mentioning all of these before, since people were
mentioning foods ... but no company is perfect, no product is safe, even in
our own homes, we might under or over cook foods, and while the latter
doesn't kill, it certainly takes the fun outta food...

Either way we look at the issue, we make choices.. and the best we can do
with some choices is be vigilent about watching what our hounds (or any
animals) eat, and keeping an eye on the horizon for the next food issue, or
for them to seem "odd" and have them checked by vetmen sooner than
"wait-n-see".

-Robert

And PS .... if anyone's interested.. this article is a really really good
read, and shows how this issue could have been forseen in past events of
many human deaths ...
(in page form ... 1 thru 7)
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/06/world/06poison.html?_r=1&pagewanted=1

(all in one web page)
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/06/world/06poison.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

Probably my favorite part of that article ... is near the bottom (or bottom
of page 7), "All in a Name" ... that they had put TD meaning "tidai" (in
english: substitute) on all the documents & labels for the "glycerin
substitute" ... so "technically" they were being honest.