[Dailydrool] dog food *sigh*

Marilyn Bickell mbickellhounds at comcast.net
Thu Jul 17 17:33:19 PDT 2008

I think what a lot of people are overlooking is they forget to look into
where their dog food really comes from. Where is it manufactured? Who is the
manufacturer? Where/who/what is the source of the ingredients?

For example, I feed mostly a raw diet to all my dogs, but I do incorporate
California Natural Kibble into their diet, but not CN canned. California
Natural is made by Natura, which also makes Innova, EVO, Karma, and Health
Wise. Natura's kibbles are made in Natura's own facility, but Natura's
canned foods are made by Menu facility, so I do not feed any Natura canned
foods.

I'm sorry, but I forgot who it was who compared Costco kibble to Canidae.
Even though Canidae has revamped their formulas, and changed their facility,
within a very short time, I think comparing Canidae to Kirkland kibble is an
injustice to Canidae.

The Kirkland signature, which is a Costco brand, makes so much more than
just dog food! They make laundry soaps, cookware, batteries, dog beds,
briefcases, wine, diapers, etc.,etc., therefore "Kirkland's" focus is
certainly not on perfecting dog food ingredients and probably not interested
in knowing, or caring, where their ingredients come from.
Some of Kirkland's canned dog foods were, during the recall of 2007,
recalled. Also, Kirkland dog food is made by Diamond, which, IMHO, is just
not acceptable.

Maybe ingredients in some dog foods look impressive, but the bottom line for
me is, I want to know where the companies get their ingredients and in which
facility/ies the foods are made, and if there are any outlying problems of
the facility that could affect the dog food in the end. So I'm on the
never-ending hunt for answers, which can be difficult at times, because many
companies are not willing to share information that is important to me.

Marilyn, Miko (Chasing lizards in Heaven), Bess, RoseyMae, and Beaver
Cleaver,
Fort Bragg, CA

"You have gone ahead and nothing is the same, leaving paw prints on my heart
that will always remain."- Tibetan Proverb from Prayers on the Wind.