[Dailydrool] Food allergies etc

Opal-Deitering, Gaylene gaylene at umich.edu
Fri Jul 18 06:22:36 PDT 2008

If you have allergy hounds, please consider giving VF Complete a try.
They are less expensive than many others, they are made in their own
plants, have no corn, no wheat, no oats.  The only grain is RICE.  It is
a very good food, and my dogs do very well on it.  Unfortunately they
just raised the price to around $35.00 for a 40lb bag, but they do offer
rebates. I can't afford to keep my kids on it full time, but really like
the product.  I also use their "Enhance" hunting dog formula for the
dogs with no food allergies, and they do very well on it too.  They do
check their products for various problems DAILY.  Check out the website
at: http://www.arkat.com/vfc_dog_candr.html  Make sure to read the "Our
Facilities" link on the left side of the page.

I have compared the label of Diamond chicken and rice with Kirkland
Super Premium chicken and rice, and I believe that they are the same
product, just differently labeled.  As for the Diamond food recall,
remember that it was only from the east coast (So.Carolina?) plant, not
from the Midwest facility.  The corn sold on the east coast is prone to
the fungus, while the Midwest corn is not so inclined.  Has to do with
growing conditions.  While I am horribly sad that all those dogs died,
including 11 hunting dogs from a kennel in Milan Michigan, I do believe
that it was an isolated incident.  After the horror of all that, Diamond
has been under a great deal of scrutiny.  They must be much more careful
and have many more safety systems in place.

I have noticed some potentially significant differences between the
Diamond and the VF complete food.  They are as follows:
Diamond has larger kibble, which also means that their product contains
more air.  You have to feed more of the cheaper food to get the same
volume. This doesn't really save you money, because you have to buy more
of it.
My dogs lose weight on the Diamond, because I don't necessarily feed
them enough of it.  For Clover, this is a good thing, for the rest, not
so much.

They are hungry sooner after eating the Diamond.

More yard waste

Less additional nutrition/vitamins added.  I don't know what it is, but
Clover's arthritis seems to hurt less when I feed the VF.

Diamond is sold all over the place, VF is not.  You can't get it at
Petco!  I buy mine from the local feed mill, and he is the only dealer
within 50 miles. Check out VF's website to find a dealer near you.

I am very careful about not overfeeding my dogs.  I keep them lean and
tight, so that they reduce their chances of joint problems.  On the VF,
everyone has a proper hound coat, not too soft from too much fat, not
too dry from not enough fat. No flakey skin from too little Omega oils.
They are energetic, have bright eyes and good muscle tone.  They don't
get hot spots, their ears are pretty good, their claws don't peel or
break, and  they DEFINITELY smell better than when I fed Pedigree! The
only one who really gets fat is Clover, because she is getting sedentary
in her old age.  I finally convinced her Daddy that she feels better if
she is lighter, and after making him go for a walk with us and seeing
Clover trip and dawdle the whole time, he is now feeding her less food
and she has improved with the weight loss. (the Ester-C helps a lot
too!) Only a few more pounds to go and I will be satisfied.  Now if only
Mommy could lose some extra poundage...

Drool to those who need it!

Gaylene Opal-Deitering

My passions do not replace my relationship with God, but are instead a
reflection of it!