[Dailydrool] Drool for Barney

surferdogs at comcast.net surferdogs at comcast.net
Sat Jul 19 08:29:01 PDT 2008

Hi all, thanks for the drool earlier this week for Baja. Had Barney in for his annual yesterday. He has one eye that is cloudy. Took him in a month ago, and saw the younger vet who put him on some antibiotic ointment, but it didn't change much. So our regular vet looked yesterday - there had been some small spots on the cornea 18 months ago when Barney first arrived and was checked. The vet said it's an inflammatory response and blood vessels have grown over the cornea. He is going to recheck in 2 months and possibly start steroid drops then. Bareny also has cataracts, so his vision is a bit dim anyway, and the vet thinks this isn't changing the aready diminsihed sight too much, and he doesn't rub at it or seem bothered. Just waiting to see here.

He was also dribbling some urine and the vet commented that his bladder was full and to make sure he peed on the way out. Well, he did, but just a small amount. So I went back in and asked about the possiblility of prostate issues making it so he can't fully empty his bladder. Vet said nope, neutering shrinks the prostate within a month, so even if it was a problem a couple of years ago, that's not it now. (He also said his wife keeps pointing out that if he ever develops that issue, she knows a quick cure...)  So I am to bring a urine sample in to check - and  now I'm thinking he may have bladder stones and that is what is making his bladder feel so big. So I need to see if we can do an ultrasound and check. I'll get the sample on Monday morning then talk to him. Barney just had some lumps and bumps off and a dental about 2 months ago - I really hope he doesn't need another surgery for stones now! He is estimated to be about 12 years old. And he was such a good boy, hanging out an
d putting up with the pushing and poking and lights in his eyes and blood draw and shots....

So, it may take some time to sort this all out, but hoping a little drool for Barneys eyeball and his bladder will help.

Thanks!
Synthia for
Bud, Barney, Zuma, Doheny, Kahuna
Ace the Newf
Saintly Miss Maggie and Baja
Maya the Great Dane (yesterday I went to daycare, and was so happy playing for 9 hours I came home to run laps in the yard!)