[Dailydrool] Ear cleaning

dpmcquade at juno.com dpmcquade at juno.com
Fri Jul 25 09:35:35 PDT 2008

Abner is the only hound we've ever had who ran away when I pulled out the bottle of ear cleaner. He must smell the astringent in it, and he gallops out of the way before I can do more than open the bottle.

Drew refuses even to hold onto his leash while I try to do the dirty deed of tipping the product in--he's afraid one of us will get bitten.

Food does not help, Abs just grabs it and runs.

Any ideas on how to get the job done in a way that will not strain Abner's bad back or get me bitten (I'm not sure I can get a muzzle on him)?

I don't think his ears are a serious problem, but they have been itchy for a day or two. I keep telling him that when they really bother him, maybe he'll let me do them, but in my basset experience, it's probably not quite true. Any help welcome!
Pam, with Drew, food slave to the Dashing Bassets