[Dailydrool] Daphneyland update - recovering

Basset911 at aol.com Basset911 at aol.com
Thu Jul 31 08:57:00 PDT 2008

Hey guys, whats rockin?

I want to start off by thanking Marie, who actually was the first to inform
me of where the epicenter of this earthquake was, and to get the word out when
 we had no electricity - which is such an amazingly complicated problem.
Here in the country where the hounds frolic - we are on well systems and they
are antiquated as is the whole area.  Well pumps cannot work without
electricity - and on a non-profit budget, there is never extra funds to cover  things
like generators or solar power - those are dreams.  One day we might  have
them, its not today and most likely not tomorrow either.  When power  goes out, so
do phones, well pumps, pressure pumps, computer, gate motors,  lights... well
you get the drift.

I can not begin to thank supporters enough to help us offset the sudden and
unexpected costs of loosing power - thank heavens it was for only a day, but
recovery of our holding tanks in this drought year is going to take some
time.  You guys have made it possible for us to be able to handle it  without it
being a financial nightmare - and for that I just have no words to  express our
gratitiude.

What many may not realize, is that due to a recipe change and manufacturing
change in our regular food - which had been for many years Canidae, we are
going  through a food transition at this time.  Switching over to Healthwise (by
Natura) which was the result of 3 weeks of research and nutritional
evaluation  by a great team of folks.  By the way, I would highly recommend everyone
read Ann Martins "Foods Pets Die For" available at newsagepress.com - this book
 would have saved our team about 2 weeks of hard work!  When this power
outage hit, we are in the middle of a forced food change and have 90 hounds that
have runny stool.  A heat wave that makes cleaning our hound areas so  joyful
to being with - but which coupled with no water for bleach down - Can you
just imagine?  We had 7 new intakes this last week, and between everything
combined it is truly amazing that we have not ran naked up the mountain singing
random songs of the 60's while cackling with the ravens.  Come to think of  it,
maybe we can schedule that one of these days.

We actually are north of the town of Chino, by about 30-40 miles as the  crow
flies - and this quake was very strange - it hit some areas hard, and  others
barely felt it.  The hounds here actually acted as if annoyed that  their sun
bathing was interrupted and Barnaby actually got up and yawned.   It truly
takes an act of god for Barnaby to awake before noon in his golden  years.  He
must have been hoping for a pantry catastrophe.

To everyone who has donated to our emergency water situation -  thank you a
million times over.  You have no idea how it feels to suddenly  be faced with
huge bills to get thru a few days when the budget just does not  have an extra
dime in it.  I must apologize to Marie - I think I most  likely panicked her
when the old dial tone non-electric phone rang on a little  known extension
line - she caught me in the middle of a huge crying jag and I'm  afraid I poured
my heart out.  Yes, the economy has been very hard on us  here.  Yes, we are
all over worked when fuel prices dry up additional  volunteer help.  Yes, we
have more hounds than ever requiring rescues  assistance and less funds than
ever being donated.  We are not unique in  these problems I know - they exist in
every rescue group nationwide.  Its a  very hard year for everyone.

I shall send out personal thank you's to the donators in a few days  - the
weekend procedures begin tomorrow with the arrival of a troup of girl  scouts
for an educational program and  90 hounds tonight that will be  demanding
breakfast in no uncertain terms come morning.  I am fairly  certain that this
prearranged girl scout outing did not plan on pioneer badges,  lol.

Thanks to you - this too shall pass.
Thank you for helping. Thank you for always opening your hearts for the
hounds.  Thank you for calling, for checking on us and most of all - thank  you
for your support.

Dawn of the West
_www.barniatdaphneyland.org_ (http://www.barniatdaphneyland.org/)
Where the wild bassets snore loudly.