[Dailydrool] Help for itching furry kidz?

Karen sparks_red at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 1 07:47:24 PDT 2008

The itching problem is driving Dog House Momma to the loony bin.  Abby and Sadie both have a rash that is not yeast and  there are no fleas on them.  I detest fleas. This all started with the Iams and I am not sure how long it takes for it to get out of their systems, though with Abbie I am also suspecting a grass allergy.  I am using benadryl, lidocaine spray (for furries), hydrocortisone cream, and baking soda compresses.  Yesterday I put T-shirts on them to help stop them from scratching, which helped. (looked a little funny with the adjustments I had to make)  I am actually going today to get them doggie tees that fit right.   Abby thinks she is being punished with the shirt and Sadie thinks it is a game to get it off.  They are both on a good lamb and rice kibble with no other grains and get yogurt on a daily basis.  Abby has been on it for about 2 1/2 weeks, Sadie has been on the new food for 5 days.  Their treats have no wheat or
 corn products.  Tucker and Ruby Doo are having no problems.
My  furry food store lady suggested the raw diet, but I am a little reluctant to spend her quote of around $180.00 month for 2 babies.  Don't get me wrong, I love my kidz and if it comes down to it, I will just work an extra shift every month but I would first like to find out the cause.  We do have an appt tomorrow at the Dr. and I was not comfortable changing their food on a whim.
Any suggestions on what I can use to stop the itching?  I am miserable watching them and I know they are miserable.  Is there Zyrtec for bassets?  It works for me...because I am allergic to dog dander.
Droolz to all in need,
Karen and the Dog House Gang.