[Dailydrool] Life with my sweet TicTac Part I

Lainee Francis lainee09 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 1 12:40:43 PDT 2008

                          LIFE WITH MY SWEET TICTAC (Part I)

My son, his then girlfriend, & I drove 4 hours one way to get this 9 week old bundle of fur.  She had all the makings of an OEBE member in the beginning---I had a nice box with a blanket for her ride home –  she was having none of that!!– shortly after we began our drive home sitting on my LAP on a BLANKET, she proceeded to take a huge “dump”.  :o)) That was the beginning of the best 11 ½ years of my life with a Basset!!  As a small buppy she would sit at the foot of my recliner and give me “the look”–I picked her up and placed her on my lap and from that day until her final week of life, she would sit on my lap while I read the paper and watched TV.  Yes, she was a lap dog!!

The first year of her life she thought her name was “Little Bas*#@d”.  She was soooo cute, & she would rather have you pet her than eat!!  I’m thinking, she can’t be a basset.  She would sit on her little Basset Butt and eat very daintily.  Lucky for me she outgrew her OEBE ways within her first year with me and truly became a BABE which she remained until her final journey.  “Smooshie” describing my TT was an understatement!!

She was such a cuddle bug right from the beginning.  She loved being close to me and had to be touching some part of me when we were together.  She truly was a Velcro girl right to the end.  She knew how to give a “high 5" & “give me 5" which always made me smile.  She was very protective of me and did not let strangers near the house without letting them know a “vicious” dog was on guard duty.  There was that one time she bit my X-husband twice on the leg–“GOOD DOG”!!  She had steak for dinner that night!! :o))

Throughout her 11 ½ years with me, there were medical issues.  Many times she would have her Vet scratching her head trying to figure out what was wrong.  And every time, my sweet TicTac would rally to fool the Vet another day!!  Every Vet and their staff who treated TT fell in love with her.  They couldn’t help themselves.  We moved last July and the new Veterinarian Animal Hospital Vets and staff immediately loved her.  Every time we walked in the door–“Oh, TicTac, hi–we missed you” And they would all come out and have to pet her.  When we would leave it was “bye TicTac see you soon, you’re such a beautiful girl, yada yada yada-----Oh, bye Elaine”.

From head to toe and front to back, my baby had medical issues.  Having mange as a puppy, spay incontinence, surgery on her paws for growth removal 3 times, years of anal gland issues until they finally ruptured and were removed last November, yeast infected ears until I used the Blue Power treatment, arthritis, all her vertebra fused together from her neck to the base of her tail, and liver enzymes higher than her Vet & radiologist had ever seen in all the years of their practices just to mention the more outstanding issues.  Even after a sonogram and liver biopsy, the cause of the high liver enzymes was never found, and about a month later they subsided to a normal range, and yes, to this day her Vet is scratching her head in wonderment of what caused it.  And in between all of the above, were less invasive issues that my girl just took in her stride including allergies depending on the season.  She was a very stoic baby who rarely let me know
 something was wrong.  I had to learn on my own that she was in distress–she did not give me any clues.

Part II to follow soon--

Lainee & TicTac--(A new angel ATB), the Queen "B"
"B" for Basset, of course!
And "Patches" & "Pockets" ATB