[Dailydrool] Jane update & dirty, howling basset & Morse

dpmcquade at juno.com dpmcquade at juno.com
Mon Jun 2 11:21:51 PDT 2008

It is so quiet here without Jane. I don't have to worry that someone is getting into the kitchen to counter cruise. But I sure do miss her.

We took her to the vet this morning. X rays showed that she had passed the metal object in her colon, but the stomach still had something in it. Off we went to Oradell Animal Hospital. The vet there took a careful look at her, decided they needed to redo the X rays (does this sound familiar, Droolers?) and has admitted her to the hospital. They are going to try to scope her and drag out the offending object, even though she seems to have a full stomach. We did not feed her this morning, so the only thing he can figure is that the object is keeping food from passing through. If necessary, they will put fluid in her tum to move the food aside. But I would not be surprised if the "food" turns out to be socks, Jane's favorite food.

If the scoping doesn't work, they will have to do surgery. We hope not, because the vet also discovered that she has a heart murmur.

I'm so glad all your drool made the one object disappear (I never did find it, though I've been doing a stool examination on anything that came out of her). If you could all continue to drool and pray for our 10-year-old puppy, who doesn't know what she shouldn't eat, I'd appreciate it.

Perhaps she thinks this is a special gift to her daddy, whose birthday is coming up. So is her own birthday. Gifts are going to be very small this year, and I don't think we'll be doing the Drool calendar either. All our moolah will be going to pay the vet bill.

The dirty, howling basset who ate like food was going out of style sounds pretty normal for a hound who has been deserted by the slaves. My guys are always a bit noisier when we are not around, according to what one of our neighbors told me. Getting dirty is just plain fun, when you want to punish a slave. And food is always good. Some hounds just want all they can con out of people. I don't understand the problem, since Pesky's just acting like a hound puppy. Your neighbors simply should not own hounds. Next they'll complain that they drool!

The only way you are a bad slave is that your hounds think you should never leave them. That's normal basset behavior too.

Morse's walking pace looks like over-60-degrees-Fahrenheit walking to me. When it's cold, our bassets move with zest. Once it hits 60 something, everyone but Bel slows down. Jane especially starts moving slowly--I think that may be because of the heart murmur.
Pam, with Drew, food slave to the Dashing Bassets, one of whom is not dashing right now