[Dailydrool] Jane, bread vs. beef, and the USPS

dpmcquade at juno.com dpmcquade at juno.com
Tue Jun 3 14:26:11 PDT 2008

Just a while ago we got a call from the vet--Jane came through her wire-removal procedure just fine. She didn't have to have surgery, hurrah! But the vets are still mystified as to what they removed from her tum. They've saved it, so we can take a look and try to figure out just what tasted so good to Jane.

Her tummy still seems to be upset, so we will have her on an I/D food for a day or so and then move her to chicken and rice. She'll also be taking a few medications to deal with pain. My poor baby!

Celebrating his best friend's success, Belvedere stole a new loaf of bread that I'd just bought today. Usually I can make a trade with him, but he evidently really liked this artisan bread, because even a chunk of roast beef would not tempt him away from it. Ditto for cheese. (Didn't you tell me that Buster Brown wouldn't make that trade, Lois? Neither will Bel.)

While I was out shopping today, I stopped in the post office. Have you seen their latest poster for dog bite prevention week? It tells people not to believe owners when they say their dogs won't bite. Then it shows pictures of perfectly harmless looking dogs. What a terrible poster! Plenty of people out there fear dogs--now you're telling them that even when a responsible owner says people don't have to worry, they do.

Plenty of folks who walk by when we have our hounds out go to the other side of the street. Obviously they are not dog savvy. They believe that two or three barking dogs are going to rush out and bite them. Nothing could be farther from the truth, as long as they treat my hounds well. I always keep an eye on them.

I think the USPS should either train people in proper treatment of dogs or not bring up the subject at all. All they've done is terrify people.

I complained to the lady behind the counter, who is obviously part of the problem. She tried to tell me that all dogs bite. Even when I told her we've fostered at least six dogs, she insisted she was right. I doubt she has had one animal in her house.

If you train people to think this way, more people will refuse to be around dogs, allow dog owners to take apartments, and so on. The post office is doing the dog world a signal disservice. At the risk of being a crank, I wonder if I should object to the postmaster and see if they will take it down.

What do you all think of this? Take a gander at the poster in your PO. I'd be interested to know what others think.
Pam, with Drew, food slave to the Dashing Bassets