[Dailydrool] Biting Scardy Cat Mail People

Marilyn Briggs marbriggs at att.net
Wed Jun 4 10:37:53 PDT 2008

The first basset we ever had was a basset/black lab mix. (Picture black basset) She bit everyone who was afraid of her. We learned
to be careful.
The mail/delivery guys etc. are usually OK with dogs and show no
fear. The ones that are afraid--an open invitation to chomp a leg.
Some of the Dog Whisperer stuff I’m not really on board with, but
I do agree with the ATTITUDE. Let that fear show, and it’s all over.
We walk in a canyon area every day. Joggers, horses, other dogs
(off and on leash). When we see someone coming toward us, I pull all three dogs off the trail and we stand there until the person passes
successfully and avoids us, or comes up to meet them. (Of course,
they are whining and barking hysterically. A PERSON ! A HORSE! A DOG!!!). Although I trust my dogs, I don’t trust the vibes emanating from a person who fears/hates dogs.
I was with a woman once who became hysterical about a loose dog a block and half away. She had been bitten as a child and was really terrified. Any dog would have been so distressed by the way she was acting, they probably would have nailed her. (She really needs therapy or something --it was bad).
I wouldn’t want my dogs to ever encounter a panic stricken post person--practically screaming “Bite Me!”. Two of my three probably would. (Chester would not bite anyone under any circumstances- 110% sure).
--
Marilyn Briggs

Bosley-Total Brat- would bite
Sasha-Supposed to be a Basset but the rescue group lied- would bite
Chester-Sweetest Basset Ever-never, ever bite