[Dailydrool] Bassets and arthuritis

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 05:06:14 PDT 2008

Bassets are perhaps even more prone to arthritis than breeds that are not
"mutants". Let's face it-- having legs 4 inches long and bones the size and
weight of a Rottweiler just is not a normal situation. Joints are not
constructed the way they are in longer-legged breeds, and the pressure on
them due to the weight of the dog is enormous. The miracle is that any of
them can walk at all, according to my Vet, who looks at Basset x-rays as a
trip through uncharted territory.
Get him on some glucosamine. It takes a couple of weeks but it really does
help.
The correct term for Basset structure is achondroplasia (I think I spelled
it correctly)-- a type of dwarfism.

MomPerson