[Dailydrool] Changing dog foods

dpmcquade at juno.com dpmcquade at juno.com
Mon Jun 9 07:17:17 PDT 2008

<< I took the big kidz off cold turkey, I just made sure to give them a heaping teaspoon of yogurt with each feeding.  I never had any problems.  Oh, I put them on California Natural though there
are a lot of good foods out there.  Sadie I had to do a little slower, but I still sped it up and really glad that I did...she got rashy and urpy.>>

An immediate changeover of food can cause diarrhea and stomach upset. It's better to make a slow change.

Our Alexis had a very tender tummy. Changing foods took a long time, because she was so sensitive. But when she first came to us, she decided she was never again going to eat the awful food she'd probably eaten her whole life. She pulled out all our good, new food and ate it, leaving the old stuff in her bowl.

To avoid stomach troubles, I filled in for her old food with plain white rice. Even her tender tummy didn't have a problem.

Rice is the way to go if you have to make an immediate change. You will not have to worry about messy stools or dehydration.
Pam, with Drew, food slave to the Dashing Bassets