[Dailydrool] HOUNDS HAVEN IS HAVING A FUNDRAISER TO HELP DAISY & HER PUPS!!!!

Jess'e Potts bassetlovers at mchsi.com
Wed Jun 11 14:53:57 PDT 2008

About a month ago Hounds Haven was contacted by a rescuer in a rural
community in MO. She stated that a woman had called her about a momma Basset
and her babies. She had delivered her babies under the neighbors house and
he wanted them removed otherwise he would "dispose" of them. So the kind
citizen took them out from under the house, cleaned the babies noses, their
eyes were not even open at the time and gave momma and her babies a warm
place to live for a few days until rescue could be found for them all, but
that she could only hold onto them for a few days. So Hounds Haven went to
work on finding someone who could take the babies locally and keep them safe
and then had then transported to a dear friend of the rescue who has had
past experiences in helping mom and puppies along their journey together. In
total there are 6 puppies, 4 females and 2 males. All ADORABLE and seemingly
healthy. Momma, who was named Daisy Duke is a wonderful momma and a very
caring, social girl who seemed thankful for someone to just touch her in a
loving manner.
Upon getting momma and babies to their current home we realized everyone was
not feeling well. Momma was lethargic, puppies were lethargic. Not normal
happy go lucky puppies. Everyone over heated very easily, etc. Test after
test we finally got the diagnosis that Daisy and her babies all had
Coccidiosis, a intestinal parasite that takes all the nutrients from their
systems. We promptly put them all on the correct medication to treat the
Coccidia. Still after the set amount of time on medicince Daisy and babies
still were not acting "normal". So we went back to the testing and found out
Momma has Ehrlichiosis, a tick-borne illness that can have great
consequences on a dogs body if not found and treated early. Here is a link
to some info to Ehrlichiosis: http://www.peteducation.com/article
cfm?articleid=430 . We were advised to wean puppies early, by this time they
were 5 weeks of age, because the medication needed to treat the Ehrlichiosis
can be transmitted in the milk supply and is not safe for puppies. We also
noticed Daisy's teats were becoming more and more painful for her while
nursing the puppies and after the start of weaning were swelling and
becoming hot to the touch. She has been since diagnosed with a severe case
of Mastitis, and her milk was transmitting toxins to the puppies causing
them to be ill as well. Since being weaned the puppies have returned to
normal, healthy, active puppies. And are looking for their forever homes :0)
But if Daisy's antibiotic for her Mastitus doesn't help she will have to
undergo extensive surgery to remove the mastitis from her body. We are just
taking it day by day with close observation on Daisy.
***UPDATE ON DAISY***
Daisy is responding to her antibiotics wonderfully, and her teats are
finally loosing their hardness. Her back two teats are the two that have
always been the worst off and they are still showing the mastitis infection.
They are still hard and puss still comes out of them. These two will most
likely have to be removed. But right now we have to allow the full course of
antibiotics to run their course!! Daisy is starting to act lively, alert and
the puppy is coming out in her. We don't think we've mentioned this before
but Daisy herself is not even a year old yet, so still a puppy herself.
Making sure Daisy and puppies are healthy is Hounds Haven's #1 priority and
our vet bills are mounting by the day for their care. And we need your help
in raising some funds to pay these medical bills. All of our Hounds adoption
fees are used to pay for the food, monthly medical treatment of the hounds
in rescue and for the next hound coming into Hounds Haven to be vetted. So
as a small all-volunteer based rescue our funds are vital to keep saving the
other hounds in need.

You can see Daisy's pictures and her bio as well as her puppies bios on
Hounds Haven Petfinder Site:
www.houndshvn.petfinder.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So Hounds Haven has teamed up with a few great rescue friends and are
offering a few fundraisers to help raise for Daisy and her babies.

The Uncommongarden Fundriaser
**THE UMCOMMON GARDEN FUNDRASIER WILL START ON JUNE 15TH AND GO TO JUNE
30th**
The Uncommon Garden is offering some wonderful smelling candles in 10
delectable scents!  I personally have some of these scents and I pleased to
admit these are the longest smelling clean burning candles I have ever
experienced. After having my candle for over a month it is still smelling
strong, just as the first time I lit it!!   The note cards are also
absolutely adorable and every time I send one of mine out to a friend they
can't stop telling me how adorable it is.  And Kristen has added one to the
list that has a Basset Hound on it just for us dedicated Basset parents!!
If you have any questions regarding this fundraiser please contact Kristen
at kristen at theuncommongarden.com

Mr. Snarky's Dog Treats Fundraiser
**MR SNARKY'S FUNDRASIER WILL START ON JUNE 13th AND GO TO JUNE 27th**
These delictible treats are offered to us by a basset owner herself and all
information can be found on Mr Snark'y main webpage.
If you have any questions about this fundraiser please contact Cheryl at
contactus at mrsnarkydogtreats.com

Spike & Tabby's Dog Treat Fundraiser
This is being offered as a Hounds Haven fundraiser by a dear rescue friend
on Hounds Bay.  One of our volunteers at Hound Haven has purchased and
tasted these yummy snacks and can't give higher review of them.
Spike & Tabby's Website Dog Treats can be seen at:  http://www
spikeandtabbys.com/
If you have any questions about this fundraiser please contact Jackie at
jbigham at ottawakansas.net

~~THANK YOU IN ADVANCED FOR YOUR SUPPORT~~
THE BOARD AND HOUNDS OF HOUNDS HAVEN  BASSET RESCUE!!

Jess'e Potts
                                          Jessica Lesko
Adoption & Transport Coordinator
                      President & Founder
 http://www.houndshvn.petfinder.com
                                   http://www.houndshvn.petfinder.com
jessie.potts at mchsi.com -or- bassetlovers at gmail.com
             houndshvn at yahoo.com
Mommy to the Basset Hound Crew:  Zoey, Bella, Molly & Odi
    Mommy to:  Dutchess, Franklyn, Gomer & Arthur