[Dailydrool] Wyatt and surgery

Opal-Deitering, Gaylene gaylene at umich.edu
Mon Jun 16 05:30:23 PDT 2008

Hi Steve,

Besides what I wrote to you off list, I have a few things to add about
Wyatt's care.  1. If you are sure that the cancer hasn't spread, and
Wyatt is otherwise healthy, there are lots of dogs who live very full
lives on 3 legs.  There are also many dogs who live very full lives with
a wheel chair.  2. Can you afford the surgery, the follow-up care, and
the wheel chair without losing your ability to care for the rest of the
family?  (Bills, food, doctor/vet care)  What happens if your car needs
major repair?  Can you handle both expenses?  3.  Does the vet REALLY
think that the cancer is isolated?  If there is a chance that it is in
other areas or organs, don't waste your time, or Wyatt's, with painful
surgery.  4. An otherwise healthy basset is able to live 14yrs or more
with good care.  There are many dogs on the drool who have been in wheel
chairs due to spinal injury.  They lived good lives!  With Wyatt being
even more ambulatory than many spine injured dogs, you will have fewer
problems with bed sores too.

Obviously, I am arguing both sides of the issue. If this were MY Clover,
I would not put her through the surgery because of the arthritis in her
shoulders.  I couldn't spend the time and money making the house wheel
chair accessible, and I couldn't take the time off of work for her
recovery, training her to the chair, etc.  Wyatt is not Clover, and he
might do just fine if you do the surgery.  Only you and your vet can
make the decision.  Please look at the big picture, and know that
whatever the decision ends up being, you have loved him well, and made
the choices that you had to make to be the best Dog-Dad that you could.

Grace and Peace to you and your household.

Gaylene Opal-Deitering

My passions do not replace my relationship with God, but are instead a
reflection of it!