[Dailydrool] The World According to Norm - Blinkers, Buzzers, Clickers and Flutterbys

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Fri Jun 20 11:48:38 PDT 2008

It's me again - Norm!

Ya know - I am still a puppy and this is my first summer.  I love being
outside and exploring my big backyard and I am discovering all sorts of
neat-o stuff outside.  The weather has been puppy-perfect and I have
discovered that I have "yard mates".  You aren't going to believe this, but
in addition to the birds, bunnies and squirrels, there are all sorts of
itty-bitty tiny critters in my yard.

Yesterday I met a Buzzer!  The buzzer was very pretty and big.  It had
yellow and black stripes and made a loud buzzzzzzzz!  He was hangin' out in
mom's flowers and she got him all wet when she watered the flowers.  He
really buzzed then and mom got real excited and yelled "Get away from me -
I'm 'lergic!"  Mom made me go in the house so I wouldn't get 'lergic too!
When the Buzzer Bee went away, Mom let me go back outside.  I was laying in
the sun taking a nap and a pretty orange and yellow flutterby landed right
by me. My eyes were shut, so I didn't see him at first, but I felt the wind
his wings made.  I tried to make my ears flap like his wings, but that
scared him away.  Tomorrow I am going to lay REALLLLLYYYY still and see if
he will land on my nose, just like my Uncle Nick did.  After dinner last
night, I met this Clicker guy - he is really fun.  He rubs his legs together
and makes clicker sounds.  And the warmer it gets outside, the faster he
clicks.  I can't figure out how he does that.  I tried it and my legs don't
make any sounds and they don't rub together very well either.  I decided to
take him in the house with me to watch him more closely, so I hid him in my
mouth and took him to my crate.  Unfortunately, Dad saw me playing with him
and then HE got all excited.  You would have thought I had a poisonous
spider or something.  Dad took the Clicker away from me and threw him
outside.   I WILL find him again and figure out that leg thing!  But the
neatest critter I just discovered are Blinkers.  Blinkers only come out when
it is getting dark, so it is easy to miss them.   I think they carry little
tiny flashlights with them 'coz they keep blinking these lights on and off.
I tried to catch one to look at but they kept disappearing.  I wonder if I
can talk to Blinkers by blinking my eyes?  Maybe when the Twin Princesses or
the three Mini-Mahems (those are Mom's two-legger grandkids) come over they
can catch a Blinker for me and I can try that.

Gotta go rest for evening critter patrol!

Drools to ya!

Norm and the rest of the Red Bay Gang

Grady, Hoagie, Johnny and Opie

Sandi - Mom to the Red Bay Basset Boys