[Dailydrool] Clara's agility class

Sally King sallyemking at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jun 22 13:43:55 PDT 2008

I have been taking Clara to agility classes for six weeks now and I have to say she has been doing very well. Most weeks she picked a bit of equipment to take against and flat basset at, but last week she did a clear round at a fair speed, so I was really excited about this, our final week, as the club puts on a mini tournament.
For the first half of the class she was flying. She is easily the fastest dog there - and then came the tournament.
We started well, she flew over the dog walk and took the first jump in her stride and then we got to the tunnel and she stopped dead. She would NOT go in. Then she started, but as I ran to the other end, she shot back out and followed me. Then she jumped on top of the tunnel. . . .
After that she got back in the swing and finished the course.
2nd round, she did the first tunnel reluctantly, then refused the second one, again jumping on top. Then, when we got to the weaves, which she is brilliant at, she got halfway through and stopped in a flat basset. No amount of cheese an cajouling could get her up. Some time later she walked the weaves and then sprinted the rest of the course.
I know it's only fun agility and I shouldn't care, but  she has the potential to be so good.
Anyway, we didn't come last. Just 10th out of 13 with a combined time of 4mins 20 seconds. The winner had 2 mins 30 seconds :((

Oh well, I guess it's just the basset way <sigh>

Sally, slave to Rolph and Clara, step slave to Tessie, Henry and Solomon ATB