[Dailydrool] Just a dog

Shirley Mueller snoozinhounds at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 30 19:57:44 PDT 2008

not "just a dog".  That ended when we took them into not only our homes but
our hearts.  Dogs are our companions, friends, sometime confidant  and we
have knowingly made them part of our family-it is our choice to do so.  You
say the dog will not rule you or your home and I agree to that statement
just as my children did not rule me or my home.  There were rules for hounds
and sons alike but they were not just dogs anymore than my sons were just
children.

I have been in rescue for most of my adult life starting with my first
rescue at age 21 and now 39 yrs later I am still rescuing and along with
rescuing  I try to educate the people from whom we have to rescue hounds.
Educating  because someone could beat him/her because they were "just a
dog", that someone could relinquish a dog to be tied to a 3-5ft chain and
never petted and had food tossed at them because after all they were "just a
dog".   That the dog never got clean water because after all they were "just
a dog".  That the dog was kicked if it were in the way because it was "just
a dog".  When you see some of the dogs that never heal because of the damage
physically, mentally and emotionally that has been done to these wonderful
hounds because after all they  are "just a dog"

When someone knowingly  moves and leaves the dog in a vacant house with no
food or water because after all it is "just a dog".

Then, there is the other side when you pick up an unwanted, abused, or
mistreated dog and lift him gently into the car because he is too weak to
get in the car himself and too frightened of you because you are "human"
like his past master, when  you look in his eyes and he realizes that NO you
are not like his last master that there is too much kindness in you to be
like the last master , when you see that small wag of the tail that says
"thank you for helping me and realizing that I am not "just a dog" but a
being that can be taken into your heart and your family.

When you realize that he/she is Not "just a dog" can you truly bond with
your dog and the dog with you.  I wish you the best of luck with your hound
and hope that you will come to understand that when you have a living
breathing creature that depends on you for food, shelter, water and most of
all love that the dog can never be Just a Dog.

Shirley Mueller

Momperson to Sally Belle and Harrison