[Dailydrool] Brudder Elwood checkin out da homestead

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Thu May 1 11:39:46 PDT 2008

> Elder Clara she ben in da brudder beddie. Why Brudder Elwood, he
> been talkin to da porcelain gods fur deys, gotz da tummy hangin out
> de chopperz and now dis.

Brudder Elwood, when you complained about Elder Clara being on your
bed while you were in the vetspital, it brought back vivid memories
of my basset friend Owen right after his basset sister Macy died last
May. He knew she was very sick and he was there when the vet helped
her out of this world and into the next, but he was still confused by
her not being in the house anymore and he missed her very, very much.
In fact, he missed her so much that all he wanted to do was lie down
in Macy's favorite places because that made him feel close to her. It
was a sad time for all of us, and seeing Owen grieving for Macy on
her bed made our hearts ache even more.

You, of course, weren't home to see this, but your human told
everyone on the Drool that Elder Clara was quite upset by your
prolonged absence. I suspect she also picked up on how frightened and
upset your humans were, and that made her feel even more anxious
about you not being there any more. I think she depends on you more
than either you or she realize. I'm willing to bet two Drool
calendars that Elder Clara did not wantonly wallow all over your bed
because she wanted to make you mad. Instead, she took to your bed
because she missed you and lying on your bed and breathing in your
smells was comforting to her. Of course, if you ask her about this
outright, she'll deny it. She does, after all, have her pride. But I
promise you that's why she slept on your bed while you were so sick.
She really, really missed you.

So cut Elder Clara a little slack on this one, okay? Take her smell
on your bed as a high compliment--you mean a lot to her. As you do to
everyone on the Drool. I'm glad you're home and well along the road
to full recovery.

Elizabeth