[Dailydrool] eastie-westie an so on

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Thu May 1 13:32:31 PDT 2008

There is nothing in the charts that says a not-so-perfect Basset is not a
wonderful pet, and I don't think anyone was saying that. Yes, it is
important to keep any Basset slim if for no other reason that watching that
back. And yes, Eastie-Westie legs and feet put more of a strain on the dog
than good, closely wrapped, straight legs do. Nigel is bred for show but has
elbows that hang out like side-view mirrors, and so is not really what I
want to be showing.
I think, however, that what was being seen in the Buppy, was the dog being
down in the pasterns, so that he or she is walking, pretty flat-footed. You
see it in pups that have had an extremely bad start nutritionally, and it
often (I believe) resolves once the puppy is on a good, balanced diet and
properly cared for. Sometimes you see it in pups that are teething. In this
case it is definitely temporary, as are floppy ears in prick-eared breeds,
which is why you never look at your new show puppy when he is teething.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Mitchell, Zelda and Cooper