[Dailydrool] What To Do About Nasty Neighbors!

Houndy2 at aol.com Houndy2 at aol.com
Mon May 5 13:00:46 PDT 2008

What a nerve they have!We had some wacko neighbors too once (oh boy were we
all in the neighborhood glad when they moved away!) and it sure sounds  awful
that you have several complainers all in a row there.

I tried bringing dog treets and reason.It was good to do that with  everybody
in the neighborhood because I ended up having a few of the neighbors  KNOW US
and therefor would not "turn us in" when the Nut job family filed their
reports with Animal Control and the Police!

I tried telling our neighbors in a respectful way that it is our right to
have our dogs walking. Showed them the poop bags attached to their leads and
showed how they were QUIET. I invited them over for lattes and served some  good
food. (like our dogs I have found FUDE to be a grreat motivator! lol)  Being
reasonable and respectful is sometimes tough to do especially when you are
dealing with bizarre nut jobs who swear and yell. Maybe is you have a
neighborhood BBQ or something..a coffee klatch...something friendly they could  learn
to get along better?

Swearing does serve a purpose...usually when we have reached our  LIMITS and
blow our tops...the swearing is a sort of release right? Well you do  not know
WHAT is motivating these people! Maybe when they are calmed down you  could
talk with them or perhaps talk with your neighbors who do love your  Bassets
and find out what is going on. Sometimes you find out amazing  things about what
people are really yelling about and understanding them can  help you better
decide what to do next.

Like somebody said maybe they are worried about THEIR DOGS BEING OUT OF
CONTROL and it really has not much to do with you or your dogs really. You  have
every right to walk by whenever and how many times you please. This is  after
all a free country. Here's One thing I tried and it worked for a neighbor  we
have now. We are at least on saying "Hi" terms and smiling:
             When  we have to go by our noisy yappy doggie neighbors I just
got permission to give  em some little treets... talked with them about it
awhile when we all had  coffees and sweet rolls one weekend morning at our
house...and  nowadays  over time when they are quiet now they get a handful of broken
up treets tossed  out in their yard...nowadays they come running up and "sit
pretty" and are  eagerly waiting the treets that will be tossed as a reward
for the sitting  pretty and not yapping like maniacs. This took some time...but
now my  terrier-est neighbors are more livable for their neighbors as well as
us walkers  by. They need to TRAIN their dogs...maybe you can help them?

Maybe you could copy out the DD's people sent to you and ask them to read
them? OR...just write them a short respectful letter. You do NOT need to bother
with them though. If they overstep their bounds and yell again then I would
call  the POLICE. BE SURE that you get a CASE NUMBER. If they do not give you a
 CASENUMBER then it is not on the record. You need it to be on the record.
You  need to keep track somewhere on a calendar or something the times and
dates. You  will need this at your "Arbitration" or education session that the
Animal  Control and Police will have with you and your neighbors. Be SURE you are
always  respectful and be sure you always record the times and dates.

 You sure do have every right to walk after all its the right thing to  do
for our hounds! Exercise is a good thing! They ought to be GLAD for your
walking 3 times a day...when people walk in any neighborhood then EVERYBODY is
safer. What is wrong with these people I wonder?

We had neighbors who tried to get the people in the neighborhood to turn us
in for barking and howling Hounds! They would call us and say our dogs  were
barking and we would look around and all our dogs would be snoozing
away...and some OTHER dogs would  be barking.

They would call the police....and the police would come so of course all  the
dogs would bark at the cop car in the driveway. The cop helped us alot. He
said we ought to go to "arbitration". So we did.

We found out there that in our state we can have our dogs barking and we  can
make NOISE from 8 AM till dusk or 9 PM I think it was. Each state  should
have a  noise meter that reads the level of noise and if it is  over a certain
level and for over 5 or 6 minutes at a time THEN you could be  dragged into
"Arbitration". In our state they do not even really HAVE this  "meter" to measure
the noise level. At our meetings with the police and the  Animal Control we
were so scared that the neighbors might harm our animals  (horses and cats and
dogs...) and we got just fed up with the complaining  neighbors. We were so
happy to have the Animal Control people come and do some  EDUCATION of the awful
neighbors we once had. We had been just about ready to  MOVE..because we could
not stand the fear that the nut heads would keep  complaining. It does have
way of driving up your blood pressure. We know  some people who had to spend
$13 thousand dollars soundproofing their home so  that the dogs barking and
carrying on when they were not home could be muffled  and made less noisy. We
didn't have that kind of money and so we were worried  about the whole
thing...you know when Rescue Dogs come into rescue they often DO  Bark and after
all...dogs do BARK! lol

So...maybe you might try and get your friendly neighbors together and then
contact your Animal Control and make an appointment for them to come out and
witness what happens and HELP  YOU. That is their job. You are paying their
paycheck with your taxes!  They are so often overworked and stressed out  having
so much to do in each day but there should be an animal control officer  WHO
will be able to come out and help you. If the nut job neighbors find that
Animal Control is backed by POLICE and that you have every right to walk your
dogs on the public street... I bet they will think twice about harassing you
continually as they have done.

We found that the Police and the Animal Control people were really in truly
a LOT of HELP. Our other neighbors were glad for the fact that we had stood up
 to the ornery neighbors. We found out that other neighbors were being
harassed  too (they said that our neighbors across the streets sheep and cows
SMELLED  badd) I think that if you can keep walking you ought to but you are the
only one  who can make the decision as to if it is safe or not. Good Luck!

Sincerely, Lexa Mom to Hudson and Henry

You can't fool all of the people all of the time, but politicians figure
that once every 4 years is good enough!

favorites at AOL Food.