[Dailydrool] FW: Neighborhood ab-Norms

Opal-Deitering, Gaylene gaylene at umich.edu
Tue May 6 04:54:19 PDT 2008

Since this didn't make it in the drool yesterday when I originally sent
it, here it is again.

Val,

You should first go to your city or township hall, and get a copy of all
their dog regulations.  Including leash law, registration, vaccination,
and anything else on the subject.  Then, when you are sure that you are
in complete compliance with the rules, you can make copies of them and
hand them out to those who abuse you.  You also need to have the police
on your side.  Sometimes they will tell you not to make waves, because
it makes THEIR lives easier, but if you know the laws, and you can show
that you are in compliance with them, they will have to protect you.
Cops are more likely to respect you if you have done your homework.
Next, not only continue to walk your dog, get your close friendly
neighbors to walk with you. Get the neighbor who quit walking to join
you. Particularly in the evenings when the abusive ones are likely to be
home.  Even if they don't have dogs, maybe there is someone who wants a
little exercise.  Make friends with those closest to you.  Take their
kids walking with you.  Pay their kid to walk with you if you have to.
That way, you will have a witness (people are sometimes more cautious of
what they say if you aren't alone).  Take a voice activated tape
recorder with you.  Keep it in your breast pocket, where it will work
discretely.  If people abuse you over your race and gender, that might
be considered a "hate crime".  You don't sound like someone who wants to
make waves, but you at least need to have proof if someone really gets
abusive.
Don't give up or surrender!  People died for your right to be a free
person, and if you haven't broken any laws, they haven't got a leg to
stand on.

Too bad you don't have some basset friends who can come with you and
circle the block a few times a week until the neighbors understand that
you not only refuse to be bullied, but that you will step it up if they
don't back down!  I think it would be funny as heck to have some thirty
bassets strung out for a half mile or so in a mini waddle going through
your neighborhood.  That would be hilarious!

Gaylene Opal-Deitering

My passions do not replace my relationship with God, but are instead a
reflection of it!