[Dailydrool] crates, dogs, more dogs, too many dogs

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Tue May 6 13:54:45 PDT 2008

I have 5 dogs and two crates. Guess who are in the crates? RIGHT!! Nigel and
Llewis. Why? Because Nigel, especially, is an idiot at mealtime. Despite the
repeated lessons on snatching food from the jaws of death (mostly Zelda), he
continues to covet that which is not his during feeding. While Mr. Cooper
Sir will utter a series of dismayed barks, he will also step aside. I don't
think food is as important to him as other things. Zelda and Mitchell,
however, simply attack. All the worst fights have been over food or
microscopic bits of it.

Mitchell inhales his food. Zelda used to but now picks at it for quite
awhile. Cooper eats slowly. The boys are done before the bowls hit the
ground. Neither Mitchell nor Cooper will move from their assigned spots
until Zelda has finished and her food has been picked up. Now that she is
ill, this is often quite awhile. Sometimes she has to get hand-fed. Heaving
a great sigh of boredom, Cooper will flop down by his bowl and nap. Mitchell
stands in the door and watches. Nobody, but NOBODY approaches Zelda at
mealtime, except Nigel, who has to be crated for this reason. Hell hath no
fury as a Basset Mama whose son steals her food.
I think crates are wonderful. I hope whoever invented them is very very rich
and very very happy because crates have certainly contributed to harmony
(LOL) in our household. (Seriously, they have.)

Drool to those in need
MomPerson to Llewis, Nigel, Mitchell, Zelda and Cooper