[Dailydrool] Question marks

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Thu May 8 13:03:29 PDT 2008

> Somebody asked about the question marks in between sentences. This
> happens
> when a double space is left after a period and the start of a new
> sentence.
> I know, I know, if you took old school typing, that's the way we
> were taught
> was the right way, to double space after each sentence. But, for
> some reason
> the Internet typing isn't the same.

Those of us who learned to type on manual or electric typewriters (I
won't embarrass anyone by asking for a show of hands) were taught to
leave two spaces after each period, colon, question mark, and
exclamation mark. The reason for this is that each letter on a
typewriter takes up the exact same amount of space when imprinted on
the paper; a "k" is as wide as an "i", for example. Thus, when only a
single space is left at the end of a typewritten sentence, the
evenness of the letters on the line create the optical illusion of
unbroken writing. Hence the use of the double space, which helps the
eyes separate sentences from one another.

Enter computers. Unlike typewriters, computers allow individual
widths for each letter. An "m" is measurably wider than an "r" when
printed out. With the letters fitting together more closely and
taking up different amounts of room on the page, a double space
between two sentences actually looks a little off, as if there's too
much room in there, which there is. The tightly fitting and non-
uniformly-spaced words that a computer generates negate the need for
double spacing.

For those who find themselves needing to write essays of only so many
pages, eliminating all the double spaces can sometimes buy you an
extra line or two to work with.

To make this basset related, I had to stop typing this about every
seventh word to shove young Charlie back onto his bed on his half of
our desk and off my mouse and keyboard. He's learned that he gets
plenty of attention when he tries walking on my computer. Since it's
a dreary, drizzly day here, he needs a lot of attention because he
can't be outside patrolling for cats.

Elizabeth