[Dailydrool] Other basset ways to dislodge dirt

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Sat May 10 11:49:59 PDT 2008

Anyone else have a basset who digs holes with his teeth instead of his paws?  On a very warm day, Beauregard likes to make a shallow hole in the lawn to lie down in to keep cool.  He always starts the hole with his front paws--a dig or two or three, then switches to taking large mouthfuls of turf and dirt, pulling them up, and spitting them out, over and over again, deeper and deeper, until he has a fair-sized hole or else is choking on mud and grass, whichever comes first.  When I am outside gardening, he gets into the spirit the same way.  I pull up the weeds.  He pulls up everything else.