[Dailydrool] Fat Basset

Sandy sanwhe47 at gmail.com
Thu May 15 16:01:46 PDT 2008

Poor Flash, no wonder he's gaining weight he can't lose--he's on Prednisone!
 One of it's many side effects is increased hunger and weight gain. I  know
because I've taken it for the last 17 years for a kidney transplant.  I can
tell if I've forgotten to take it because I'm not hungry.  It also causes
fluid retention.  Our Thumpy has stenosis of his spine and will injure it
occasionally and he takes Prednisone for only a few weeks and is starved all
the time and gains weight.

Prednisone can also cause diabetes (it goes away when the drug is stopped)
that may be causing his increased thirst--a sign of DM along with hunger.
Your vet should check his blood sugar because it must be treated.  He still
needs to control his weight but it will not be easy!!  We'll send some drool
for Flash.

Sandy W
Bea, Val, Dora, Willie,Thumpy(the Pit-Basset)
Bug and Max who are happy not being Bassets
See our family at:
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/513320