[Dailydrool] New hound coloration

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Sun May 18 06:05:31 PDT 2008

Last month I took our Elsinore and young Charlie with me to my
college in central Virginia. It's in the foothills of the Blue Ridge
Mountains, so there are lots of hiking trails through forests and
meadows that we all enjoy. At one point we walked through an area
that had a lot of exposed red Virginia clay. It had just rained, so
all that lovely clay just perfect for tearing through at top speeds
(if you're a basset). By the time the dogs were done chasing it each
other around and around through the clay, I realized that Charlie,
who is a red-and-white basset had become a red-and-orange basset, two
colors that don't really go together. Elsinore may have finished the
romp in the clay just as badly stained, but she's a black-and-tan so
it wasn't as obvious on her. And there I was thinking that our hounds
were born with a good coating of Scotchguard on them. Silly me.

Elizabeth