[Dailydrool] Need some advice...

Jessica Sutton Jessica at fmprofessionals.com
Tue May 20 09:10:10 PDT 2008

Sophie went back to the vet-woman yesterday to take another look at the
bump that has formed on her face in the last month.  The vet recommends
we have the bump removed because it doesn't look like it will be
scabbing or falling off on its own and because it has grown some since
we first noticed it.  I agree with her and have decided to remove it,
but that's where I am stuck.  Basically, there are two options for
removing the lump, they can laser it or they can put her all the way
under and use a blade which will require stitches.  Either procedure is
about the same cost wise, right at about $120.  Then we can opt to
either have the tissue sent to a lab for testing, save it with the vet
for up to 6 months in case it comes back and we decide to have it tested
later, or just discard the tissue.  If we want to have it sent to the
lab, it's an additional $150-$180, plus, we would have to do the scalpel
and stitches with her being put completely under for the procedure,
because with the laser, chances are the tissue will be too burned and
the lab will not be able to test it.  She said the chances of this bump
being of any concern are very slim in a pup this young and given the
benign nature of the bump itself.  SO...I'm really not sure what to do.
Do I have them laser it off, or put her completely under and have them
take a knife to her face?  If I don't laser, do I save the tissue or
send it in and face the extra expense when the chances of it being
something of concern are so very small?  And is this about what it costs
to have this procedure done, or should I get another opinion/estimate?
We have only been with this vet for a few months so I don't have a long
relationship with her and I have no idea what things like this are
supposed to cost!!!

If anyone has had experience with this and can offer some advice or even
what not to do, I would really appreciate it!  I just don't know what's
best for her!

Jessica L. Sutton

Financial Management Professionals

6034 W. Courtyard Drive, Suite 380  -  Austin, TX 78730

(512) 329-5174  -office             (512) 329-5176   -fax

Jessica at FMProfessionals.com <mailto:Jessica at FMProfessionals.com>