[Dailydrool] Ginger's digestion

Alan Folsom alan at folsoms.net
Thu May 22 07:04:47 PDT 2008

Maybe droolers can help here...

Shortly after we got her, Ginger started having very loose
bowel movements, occasionally spotted with blood.  She had been
spayed about the three days before we got her.  The vet
put her on flagyl, and after a week, switch to tylan.  We've
also had her on a bland diet (chicken and rice, makes her happy!).

After two weeks on the Tylan with no apparent results, I took her off it.
At that point, things seemed to get better! I started slowly adding dog food
until one day when we were at the 50/50 mix, I ran out of chicken and gave
her a bowl of pure kibble.  Following that, the problem came back with
a vengence.  Back on the chicken/rice.  At first her stool was dark and
mucus covered, as were spots of blood, so it looked like colitis.  A long
the line I added some canned pumpkin per the digest, which may have
helped a little, but certainly made things more colorful

The vet got a CBC test done, and while waiting for results, we lost the
bloody aspect, the stool lightened in color, and she started going a day
or more between bowel movements.  The CBC showed a low level
of B12, and the vet has started her on shots for that.  She also gave
us some packets of a pwder, flora-something to give her once a day.

Other than the loose stool, she's happy, extremely cuddly, and
occasionally tears through the house either play-fighting with the beagle,
or on a random basset-500.  She's a light dog, about 39 lbs, which is a
3-4 lb gain from when we got her.

I trust our vet a lot, but I also respect the wisdom of the drool.  Any ideas
on what might be going on here?

Thanks,
Al