[Dailydrool] Please say prayers and sling lots of drool for Mandy!

Karen Dimsey kmc812 at yahoo.com
Sun May 25 15:59:38 PDT 2008

Hi Everyone,

I wrote at the middle of the week to ask if anyone had experience with mast cell tumors or chemo in their bassets.  Our Mandy was diagnosed with Stage 3 Mast Cell Tumor in the skin of her neck and the rest of her body was clear.   We had 2 surgeries over the last week to remove it all and they were able to get clean borders.  She came home on Thursday and was doing fine, though she looked awful, very swollen.  I called the vet numerous times over the last few days about the swelling, but they all told me it was normal.   She is cut from top of her chin almost to her chest.   Well, as I said, she was doing fine, until this morning.   I had just given them (Mandy, Melvin & Marley) their morning treat, she was sitting on the floor eating it and the boys were on the other side of the room, I turned around, threw out a piece of garbage and then turned back and she was in a pool of blood!  Blood was everywhere and pouring out of her faster then we could cover it.   THANK GOD my
 husband is an EMT and was a Navy Medic.  We rushed her to the closest 24 hour emergency vet which was about 30 minutes away, but we made it in about 15 minutes thanks to his emergency blue light.   They said that we really needed to get her back to Redbank Emergency which was another hour away because they couldn't stop the bleeding either and thought she was bleeding internally.   Again, we blue-lighted it all the way there and made it in about 30 minutes, with us covered in blood with her.   They rushed her in on a gurney and about an hour later they told us that she was ok... still bleeding but they had her wrapped.  They think it is from the surgery and either from a capillary or the sutures inside but aren't 100% sure yet.   They of course kept her overnight and have been changing her bandages and contacted her surgeon.  Not sure if they will have to go back in (GOD, we hope not) or if they can get it to stop.  They also gave her benadryl for the swelling and they
 said it has gone down and although still bleeding, it isn't seeping through the bandages any more and isn't as bright red... I guess that is good.    I was never so scared!  I thought she was going to bleed out on us before we got there.   Our car and house looks like a crime scene!   We will know more tomorrow.  Thank god it didn't happen at night or when we stepped out!

  If you can all please sling some drool and say some prayers for her, we'd greatly appreciate it.   We were readying ourselves for the cancer and chemo fight, but never imagined this!

  Thanks for your support!
Karen, Mike, Mandy, Melvin (Boardwaddle GM 2004) and Marley