[Dailydrool] poop eating

Mack, Heather (PIR) Heather.Mack at ontario.ca
Mon May 26 06:36:32 PDT 2008

I too suffered from a Basset with a penchant for poop.  Winnie just
couldn't get enough of it.  I took her to the vet and we tried Forbid
which didn't do anything for her.

One day my Grandma sent me a newspaper article about the issue and a Vet
was suggesting that if a dog's body wasn't absorbing all the nutrients
from the food, they would try to eat it again.  I filed that away in my
brain for later.

About a month later I had to switch Winnie's food because of an
emergency (visiting my sister and no one in her town sold Merrick).  So
we switched to a Canadian food called Orijen
www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/about/ and the poop eating has magically
stopped!  I have caught her having a "sniff" a couple times but nothing
more.  I have to say that there's nothing worse in this world than poop
breath.

BTW I'm glad I have somewhere to send these stories - my non-dog friends
were tired of hearing the Winnie poop adventures.

Heather