[Dailydrool] Giving Pills

Brenda Waldrop dedanann1 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 08:25:57 PST 2008

Both my bassets are currently taking Benadryl for their allergies, and
Copper is taking prednisone and an anti-fungal for his ears. The trick I
have found is to change up what I give the pills in, one day in peanut
butter, the next in cream cheese, another day in Vienna sausage. This way
they are never sure if the treat they are getting has the pills in it or
not.

However, I just had to laugh when I read about Lillie and her flews. Copper
really seems to hate the anti-fungal, and if he tastes it at all, out it
comes. So, several times I have had to resort to putting it in his throat,
holding his mouth closed and massaging until he swallowed. I would then look
in his mouth, which would be empty, only to find the pill on the floor next
to us.

After several failed attempts to make this work, and having the pill
magically appear outside his mouth I was ready to give up. I was completely
stumped as to how he was doing it until I just happened to catch sight of
the pill dropping right out of his flews! I suspect that his teeth don't
form a complete barrier when his mouth is closed, and he can push the pill
out through the gap. I was so amazed that he'd managed this I couldn't even
be frustrated with him.

It's good to know my basset isn't the only one to have figured it out!

Brenda- momslave to Copper and Elphaba