[Dailydrool] Presidential Puppy

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Wed Nov 5 10:33:40 PST 2008

Riche, you and I are on the same wave-length. When I read on the BBC
News this morning that the Obamas are now in the market for a puppy,
I sent an e-mail to PAWS Chicago, a huge all-breed, no-kill animal
shelter in the Obamas' city and asked them to contact the Obamas and
give them information about rescue groups and spay/neuter programs.
What a message it would send if they got their puppy from a shelter
or a rescue group instead of a breeder or pet store. Even if they got
their puppy from a reputable breeder, so many of the people in the
rest of the country who want to emulate the Obamas would head for the
backyard breeders, not knowing any better or that other options are
available. Personally, I think the Obamas would be better off waiting
until after the holidays and after they're settled into their new
home. Can you imagine being in their situation and trying to house
train a puppy at the same time?

Elizabeth