[Dailydrool] hound in the bed - the dark side - sorry, way too long

Reed and Becky Pomeroy rebec at execpc.com
Wed Nov 5 11:04:49 PST 2008

While I no longer choose to sleep with the houndage due to pain issues,
the spouse feels a hound in the bed is absolutely essential.  His
hound of choice is our younger otterhound, Sister - about 80 or 85 pounds
of long-legged hairy hound but he will include a basset, especially if
someone is not feeling well, or we have a visitor or foster who is
accustomed to being in the bed.  Since the spouse works nights and I
work days, we can generally both have our own way when it comes to
sleeping issues.

However, lately, I have had to lodge a
complaint.  As some of you might remember, Sister broke her toe about
2 months ago and was on crate rest.  While she is not on crate rest
anymore, the spouse hasn't felt comfortable returning her to the kennel
with its cement run and oportunities for leaping and bounding.  so
she has been in the house.  She can't use the housedog flap door and
doggy ramp as they are sized to bassets and she would probably not respect
the gate to the housedog doggy yard.  therefore, she has been using
the "guest bathroom" - a freestanding 6 X 10 foot chain link run
which was put up in the yard several years ago as an exercise area for
houseguests in for the dog show, and which as stayed up as it comes in
handy for visitors and what-have-you.    However, with
regular use by a rambunctious big-footed otterhound, all vegitation in the
run has gone to the bridge, leaving dirt and, with the fall rain,
mud.  Did I mention that otterhounds have big hairy feet??

So now, when I go to bed at night, I have to spend half an hour or so
removing little lumps of dirt and dried mud from between the sheets, along
with a smattering of kibble, burrs, hair-clumps (ok.  some of the
latter are from the c at ts.), soggy toys, and doG
knows what before i can go to sleep.  And I still wake up with kibble
stuck in my hair.

Perhaps I should banish them both
to the guest room for the duration??

crazy basset lady
MAKE DROOL NOT WAR

Please take time to visit these websites:

Rebec Bassets at www.rebecbassets.com
Basset Buddies Rescue,
Inc. at www.bbrescue.org