[Dailydrool] Calendar Girl

froggie froggie0310 at bellsouth.net
Fri Nov 7 16:08:06 PST 2008

Today's calendar houndie is Nellie, our sweet old grandma girl who passed away in July of this year.  We got her (and her bonded mate Sammy) on November 7, 1995, after the Soldier Daddy came home and told me (he knew I wanted another basset with Rusty Paws) a guy at work had basset puppies.  I told him he was insane if he thought I wanted a basset puppy AND a 7 week old 2-legger (Joshua)!  But, I said I'd take an adult basset.  So, we were told to come pick--Sammy and Nellie had both been found as strays.  Once there, Smitty said it was  both or none--they were glued to each other.  So, we decided that 2 dogs, 3 dogs--what difference would it make at home?--and took both.  They were probably 1 and 2 at the oldest (Nellie being younger) and Nellie had weaned her litter of basset/rottie puppies (so Sammy was NOT the father!)  Nellie was the only female we ever had (except fosters) over the years.  We had Bert, Barney, Murphy, Walter and 4 male cats so far but only one Nellie Girl.  [We adopted our foster Twinkie in her honor.]

Nellie got to live the exciting life of an Army dog, traveling from MO to KY to CA to TX and back to KY again--and those were just places she lived.  We took her home to MO--even back to the first home she lived in---this summer when we went on vacation.  She'd been diagnosed with synovial sarcoma in January and left us 7 mos later.

Nellie Marie Intessimone
January 1995- July 17, 2008

Susan and the Hoptown  Bassets
Murphy, Jeremiah, Twinkie, Walter, Rusty Paws (ATB),Sammy (ATB), Nellie (ATB), Barney Boy (ATB) &  Bert(ATB), Bianca(ATB),
Bluegrass Basset Rescue, Inc
A Basset is an Asset!