[Dailydrool] Bellhounds and baying...

njmedic702 at aol.com njmedic702 at aol.com
Tue Nov 11 14:29:06 PST 2008

 Sandi, I am fascinated by the information about baying amongst Bassets and the existence of "bellhounds."? I had no idea!? Interestingly enough, it is our youngest hound, Dudley, who starts our group baying. Each knows how to arrooo but seldom did so until Dud arrived.? Now, if he gets going, the rest soon start in.? It's interesting to listen to them as each has a very distinct sound.? Dozer is usually the second to chime in and his bay is a deep baritone.? Daisy's is high pitched and Delilah, who doesn't always join in, is a warm, rich contralto.? I love to hear them and you're right, they only bay for about a minute before stopping, as suddenly as it starts.

I love the idea of "passing the torch" to a new bellhound - and people think Bassets are stupid.? Hah! They have more smarts in their earflaps than some hoomans have brains...

Thanks for sharing this.? I learn so much here.

?Sandi / NJMedic702