[Dailydrool] Confession time, nebberminds etc

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 16:10:19 PST 2008

Ok Droolers, it's confession time.
If I get flamed, I get flamed.

Nigel, until he was about one yr old was a perfectly happy, normal Basset
and at one he became a terrified Basset. When people come to visit he hides.
If it is summer he will go outside, hide as far back in the yard as he can
get and refuse to come in or be caught to come in. He will stay out there
for hours. I am not making this up. We do not know why he is like this, but
he is miserable when company comes and this is one reason we rarely invite
people to stop by. Mitchell used to be like this but in recent years has
mellowed considerably.
Llewis is not like that at all unless he sees Nigel panicked, and then he
runs, too-- there must be a reason if his big Brudder says it dangerous.
Cooper barks, then sits on your lap and cleans your face, neck, ears,
hands.....you get the idea.

So in an effort to help Nigel regain some measure of confidence, we have
been giving him Amitryptilline (Elavil). He does seem a little less
flighty-- but he has not been on it long enough for me to know if it is
going to really help.

Unfortunately, Elavil has another effect-- or rather what makes it
effective-- is that is lowers the levels of anxiety,  so that a dog who once
was sensible enough not to challenge his housemates, now might feel
confident enough to do so.
I had another minor fight tonight between Nigel and Mitchell, both of whom
have Nebberminds. Loathe to give up a crumb (I think-- it was too small to
see with the naked human eyeball) neither of them were willing to give an
inch. I had in my hand a bowl of water which I threw on them (and Hubbie,
who got most of it) and it had no effect so I threw the pan at them and they
stopped.(It did not hit anyone but was a missile from nowhere that made a
lot of noise.)

So. Are Nigel's recent transgressions because he is 3 and has nebberminds
and thinks he should be in charge, or because the Elavil is making him less
anxious and that in turn makes him less anxious about challenging the top
dog?

I am curious what you all think, especially those of you with multiple
intact dogs, or fearful dogs, or any dogs on HappyPills. (Hey, I take them
too, just not Elavil.) It doesn't mean I will follow anyone's advice, it
just means I am looking for thoughts and experiences, and opinions. Flaming
is permitted I guess  (I know most of you are ardent believers in neutering,
and usually, I am too) but don't expect me to pay much attention to being
flamed.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Mitchell and Cooper