[Dailydrool] FC Beavear Bickell

saraberry at aol.com saraberry at aol.com
Tue Nov 11 18:39:30 PST 2008

Everyone needs to congratulate Tom and Marilyn Bickell for their new field champion basset hound, FC Bluefence Theodore Cleavear, aka Beavear Bickell.

I will never forget when we first entered The Beaver in a field trial at four months of age so that we would make enough dogs to have a trial.? I carried him into the star thistle, he sat next to me and whined, and then I picked him up and carried him back to the car promising him we would never force him to a field trial again, and we didn't for two years.

Then we started noticing his nose.? Marilyn noticed he loved to watch for bunnies outside the fence.? His nose would go down on a track and follow it so exactly that we could envision the bunny scrambling along, and he just seemed to love it and come alive when out there.? When we coupled him with his brother or sister, they deferred to his nose like they just knew he was on the line.? Then I remember the time his Dad, Luther (DC Castlehill's Odds 'N My Favor), was hot on a track and ripping it up opening left and right on the checks and Beaver stood next to me just quivering and opening to himself until it was his turn.? He ended up with a Third Place that day.

But his last two runs were pretty remarkable as he went from Fourth to First place.? On one run, he ran down?an embankment and we all stood there watching while he continued to track and make his checks, ignoring our calls to return until he had stopped, found a dead salmon, and carefully rolled in it in celebration!?

Then at our last field trial in Vacaville, he ran with Champions for the first time and took a Second Place, which is remarkable!? Go Beaver Go!

We are so proud of the little man, thanking especially my partner Jan who runs him in the field, Castlehill and Reepa kennels, Jeannette Turpin, Edonna Gallagher, the Scholtens and every great dog in his pedigree, along with his wonderful family, Tom and Marilyn Bickell, who we love dearly.? His sister, Cissie is working on her FC, and then Arnie, his BFF and cousin, is on his way with ribbons in his first two years of life!

If you have never attended a field trial, you should go out and observe one because the dogs LOVE it, and it is important to see what your basset has been bred to do in person.?

Best*

Sara Watson
Bluefence Bassets