[Dailydrool] Dog Doors

sparks_red at att.net sparks_red at att.net
Thu Nov 13 11:14:52 PST 2008

I would be lost without the dog door with 5 kidz in the house.  They all love the freedom to go in and out as they please.  I installed the through the wall kind 2 years ago, but mine is rather large as Ruby Doo is a Husky Shepard.  I have the heavy double vinyl flap system with heavy magnets strips on the bottom and felt around the sides   So far it has held up very well.  There is some heat loss when they go in and out but no more than when opening and closing the door, but mine goes out into a protected porch area.  They one thing you want to make sure of is to caulk very well around the opening and put extra insulation in the wall area surrounding the system.

As for security, the opening isn't visible unless you enter the porch area or see the dogs going in and out. A person or wild critter would have to be really brave to crawl in it and wade through 5 dogs.   I know without a doubt that Ruby Doo would take a bite out of a stranger brave enough to try.

Nelly, being a rescue, was really afraid of the dog door.  Since she is not really use to treats yet, they didn't work at all.     Since the weather was still nice I ended up taking the flaps off during the day and when she had to go out I would not  let her use the big door.  It took a couple of days, but once she got use to it, I put one flap back on and then a couple of days later the second flap went up.  Of course praise, praise and more praise went a long way.  She goes through now without any problems.

I have nothing but praise for the inventor of the dog door.   A little heat loss is more than worth the time saving feature.  Since I have a gate up limiting access to the living areas, when I work they can go in and out as they please and have fun in their backyard.  I know longer have to stand in the rain, leave the door open, or run every 5 minutes to let one of the furbabies out.

Droolz to all in need,
Karen and The Dog House Gang
Ruby Doo, Tucker, Abby, Sadie, Nelly, Teeka, Gregor and Cuddles